Freestone Environmental Services, Inc.
Freestone Environmental Services, Inc., (www.gofreestone.com) a multi-disciplinary consulting firm, seeks a talented individual to serve as a Writer/Editor and Social Media Specialist to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Office of Response and Restoration (OR&R -- www.response.restoration.noaa.gov). OR&R’s headquarter is in Silver Spring, MD, with additional offices in Seattle, WA and other locations throughout the US. This position will be located in Seattle, WA.
OR&R is a program office in the National Ocean Service (NOS) that responds to pollution threats in order to protect and restore coastal resources. To do this OR&R provides scientific response to releases of oil, chemicals, and contaminants; works to reduce, remove and better understand the impacts of marine debris; and protects and restores the nation’s trust natural resources.
- Writer, editor and social media specialist supporting OR&R’s Outreach Team.
- Manage OR&R blog and social media accounts (currently Facebook, Twitter).
- Gain and maintain knowledge of government use compliance.
- Manage and execute OR&R social media and blog calendar.
- Manage stakeholder newsletter.
- Support OR&R Outreach and Web Teams on the maintenance of the OR&R Web site, with a specific focus on writing and editing of web content.
- Support development and implementation of annual OR&R Outreach Strategic Plan.
- Provide support to OR&R’s Outreach Team and Directorate with writing and editing of outreach and communications products for a variety of audiences, including agency leadership, partner organizations, U.S. Congress and the public.
- Communicate regularly with OR&R communications and technical staff and NOS communications team.
- Responsible for assisting with short and long-term special projects as needs arise and as outreach/communications requirements evolve.
- Recommend and develop creative solutions to achieve OR&R’s outreach and communications goals.
- Support usability testing for various OR&R Web sites and public tools.
- Proven writing and editing ability.
- Accurate proofreading skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, journalism or related field with a minimum of three years’ experience in a writing, editing and communications capacity.
- Experience in web content management.
- Experience in web editing and social media (entry and editing).
- Social media analysis and reporting.
- Knowledge of web content management systems, e.g., Drupal.
- Proficiency in basic HTML coding, Google sites, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Self-motivated, creative and energetic with an ability to work well individually and cooperatively with range of individuals.
- Impeccable written and oral communications skills.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and to shift priorities as needed.
- Experience working for an organization in a marine science or emergency response related field.
Please submit your resume, a writing sample, a completed application (found at: ttp://www.gofreestone.com/careers/), contact information for three (3) references, and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to: email@example.com with the following subject line: Writer/Editor.
Freestone is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.